Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Emblems 097: Lesson 1, Heads

So, got some feedback about my last emblem post which suggested that maybe some remedial emblem education is in order. Lesson one is after the jump.


We'll start very basically: head shapes and silhouettes. This image should give you a good idea of how you can make a 5 shape silhouette for a female pony:

That's only 3 different shapes (Circle, Tongue, Wind Sock), incidentally; using the free scale tool you can shape the Wind Sock into a nose or into ears.

You can make a 6 shape male silhouette almost as easily. Just delete the Wind Sock shape used for the nose and replace it with two Rock shapes:

Eyup. This silhouette also works well for hamsters.

I was going to do this post explaining how I made King Sombra, but he has a nonstandard head shape and was a little complicated. Hopefully this picture helps you figure out how I made him, though:




11 comments:

  1. I love your approach here Whar:
    Step 1: how to properly press your fingers on the piano keys
    Step 2: the C major scale for beginners
    Step 3: Flight of the Bumblebee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but he taught you Flight of the Bumblebees by making a comprehensive 4 hour youtube video. Just without the sound.

    But seriously, I'm pretty sure that this makes it possible for me to create a King Black Thing emblem on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, your work is indeed excellent. I would even go to say that I am praising you in such a manner that you should feel validated. I would be proud to have you as my son, were I some sort of half-white, half-asian monster thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am impressed.

    I have seen a few mane 6 emblems in the wild but not many people do the villains or other minor characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very helpful and very awesome, Whar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet again not at all how I did my emblem. I quit, just making my emblem the word ELITE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kidding man, could you not tell by the alternative and fact I said I was going to change 3 hours of work?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. So is finding out you can warp shapes with the click of a stick... hehe

      Delete