Tuesday, May 29, 2012

[Swag] Update

So, I've sent out  requests for price quotes to three different engravers re: embossing dies. The only price I've seen so far is a webpage which mentions the cost of a setup being $120 + $50 for marking 100 jewelry tags, which isn't exactly what we're asking for; also, it seems like a lot of the cost might be graphic design, and I've provided a vector image that is (I think) suitable for a single level automated cutter, so hopefully it won't be more than that.

If it costs around $120, the interest people have expressed in the poll would put the cost at between $3.80 and $5.20 per person to cover the cost of the die if every single person is serious and gets a tag at $10 or $15, respectively. The rest of the cost would be $3.50 for each lettered tag, $28 for 50 blanks to emboss, and $15 for 50 24" chains. Add it all up and it ends up being $9-12 per tag before the cost of stamps to mail 'em to everypony, depending on whether 31 ponies go in (the number who expressed interest in the tags at all prices from $10 or less to $20+) or 23 go in (only ponies willing to pay more than $10). Basically, all the supplies I've mentioned would end up costing around $275, but if we split that among 30 of us, it's a manageable cost. I'd just like to know how serious everypony is before committing that much money to making these. I'll spend however long it takes stamping the tags myself, but I just don't have a CNC machine to make the die.

Anyway, more info when I hear back from their sales reps, but if I can make it happen as described above, who's in?

12 comments:

  1. I would be in. Are they going to be the red ones or the bronze ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those prices are for brass. Red would be a dollar more ($2 per pair) and I don't know how well they would stand the embossing.

      Delete
  2. All my bits are on the table for this one! I think these will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brass tags for me, s'il vous plait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in as well...what makes you think aluminum won't tolerate the embossing? I know embossed aluminum is used for lots of things. Are we not worried about patina with the brass ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my swor- I mean, money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question, what would all be on the tags now that we now know how much it is?

    ReplyDelete